Sunset

Sunset

Monday, February 17, 2014

Finding the Good

Abraham Lincoln once said, "We can complain that rose bushes have thorns or we can rejoice that thorn bushes have roses". I probably wouldn't think twice about that quote, but recently I read something similar that had a greater impact on my thinking.  "Every day may not be a good, but there is something good in every day".

There's a lot of truth behind those words.  We tend to focus on the bad of any given situation, rather than see the good.  The good might make us seem to compansionate or thankful. The good might give people the impression that we are "perfect" and live without fault. The reality is we are drawn to the bad and need to be reminded of how to find the good in each day.

For me, I learn from my reds.  They are still too young to judge or cast doubt on others thoughts or beliefs.  They look at a rainy day as getting to have P.E. inside the cafeteria or jumping in newly formed puddles.  We adults may think of it as a ruined round of golf or spots on a freshly washed car.  The lack of paying attention to or acknowledging the good, is turning us individually into the overly critical people we said we'd never become.  So, my late resolution for 2014 is to journal the good I find in each day and hope that come December 31st, I'll have a pretty awesome list to share.

~ Me

0 comments: